Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Selective Incorporation + Anonymous = Sweet, Sweet Justice

First time on Blogger, thank you very much. In the event that there is someone out there actually reading this, there are a few things you should know about me in the event that you don't like what I have to say: (1) I'm a rabid gamer who doesn't understand why the entire world hasn't picked up a controller yet; and (2) I'm incredibly political, which is what my blogs will be about half the time.

So lets start off with something we've learned in my Government class today, selective incorporation. Basically that means that politicians can acknowledge to PARTS of the Bill of Rights but ignore the rest. Though I'm still not sure how you can't go to jail for this, this is certainly bring to mind an article I read last week about the hacktivist group, Anonymous. Apparently, the hacker group is foaming at the teeth over the suicide of Aaron Swartz. They've stated in a letter that his tragic end is the result of the corrupted Department of Justice's sentence commission, that the system was against him from the start. They've stated that the federal sentencing guidelines allowed the prosecutors to cheat him out of his right to a fair trial and leveled him with what was considered a "cruel and unusual" punishment, in violation of the 8th Amendment.  And I haven't even gotten to the most interesting part.

The commonly used logo of the hacker-activist group known as Anonymous which is responsible for several high profile hacks in the past few years.
Being a hacker group and all, Anonymous has hacked the U.S. Sentencing Commission website and reduced it to nothing more than a game of Asteroids. They've also stolen a pretty big file and distributed it to several people. Let's see how that pans out. I've got to admit, this is very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment